5 Tips To Help You Be a Successful WAHM
Sep 09, 2013
It’s never easy being a mom trying to juggle a work at home job with a family life. 15 years ago, most people never even heard the acronym WAHM (work-at-home mom). Women usually had to make the decision to stay at their 9am-5pm job and find childcare or become a stay at home mom without any additional income.
Luckily, a question today’s Moms can ask is “What kind of work can I do from home? According to parenting.com the desire for family flexibility is the number-one reason most Moms want to work from home.
Working as a virtual assistant (VA) is a great option for today’s WAHM. Having an administrative, marketing or accounting background is very beneficial to the current demand for virtual assistance. However, there are many other professional skills that can be done virtually. Working as a home-based VA can be a very rewarding and profitable venture when considered thoroughly and executed strategically.
So what will help you become a successful WAHM?
- A Great Attitude and Flexibility: The key to success is being self-motivated to work early in the morning or late at night when you have peace and quiet. You also have to be flexible when the work day does not go as planned.
- A Plan: Educating yourself on what to expect and keeping current on software, business trends, etc… can be extremely important to your success or failure. There are a lot of great resources available to help you BEFORE or even AFTER you commit to being a WAHM.
- A Support System: Having friends or family supporting you with this career choice is always helpful. Having a spouse that understands that you will be splitting your time between work and family while at home is also an important key to your success as a WAHM.
- A Realistic Schedule: Nap time or bedtime for your kids = work time for you. Set work hours that you can stick to everyday with some flexibility built in for unexpected phone calls or projects.
- Your Own Space: Since your home office is your “command central”, be certain it is organized in a way that will enable you to succeed. If you take the time to establish a fully-functioning home office early on when building your business, you will help ensure you have all the tools necessary to succeed as your client base grows and you become increasingly busy.
Keep in touch with us to stay informed of the latest news from VAQ!
Visit our Resource page to join our mailing list and download our great list of resources!